Friday, October 5, 2007

Earthless and Jesu at the Cashbah, San Diego October 4, 2007

Wolves In The Throne Room were scheduled to open up the show but apparently they broke down on the drive to the gig. While I did see them back in July, I was looking forward to hearing them again and buying their latest album. Instead of pushing up the other two bands, they stuck to the original schedule which meant more sitting around doing nothing until 10pm. Making things worse the Jesu merch table wasn't open before the show started. I was probably going to buy a couple CDs but ended up buying nothing.

Earthless went on a little after 10pm and dig right into a 50 minute jam of 'Godspeed', the first track on their new album. This was my fourth time seeing the band and they are continuing to play phenomenal sets. They did different intro than I remembered hearing the previous time and it works well.

I've enjoyed Jesu up until the last album, but being from the UK, I figured I won't have many opportunities to see them live. I wasn't sure what kind of configuration Justin Broadrick would have; turns out they are a trio with help from a laptop providing the noises and keyboards. Perhaps it was because of the location as was at, but the mix just wasn't working for me. The drums were way too loud and the guitars needed to be turned up - way up. I was expecting to bathed in washes of guitars but it was not to be. They played (from what I can tell) mostly new material including the best tracks from 'Silver'. Not sure if there was anything from the self-titled album or not. The encore song, whose name escapes me, was by far the best part of the set.

No comments: